Monday, March 24, 2008

Penne with Beef and Arugula


First, I LOVE this dish. It is from "Everyday Pasta" by Giada De Laurentiis.

Here is the recipe from page 182 (my changes next to it). I make this for two.

2 New York Strip Steaks about 8 oz each (I use one pack of Stir Fry Strips or one Top Sirlion)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
1 garlic clove, minced (I have also used garlic powder)
3/4 cup plus 3 tbsp EVOO
1 lb penne pasta (I use 1/2 box of the organic penne from Winn Dixie)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (I only use one little dash of it)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (if you use dry, use less)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (if you use dry, use less)
2 cups chopped arugula (I ended up planting this-cool weather plant-b/c I couldn't find it anywhere. You can use fresh spinach instead but the arugula makes this dish!)

(This is edited a bit, not directly from her book)
Season steak with S&P, herbs de Provence, and garlic. Heat 3 tbsp EVOO in pan. Cook steak for about 7 minutes per side. Turn off heat and leave in pan covered.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain.

In a small bowl, wisk EVOO, balsamic vinegar, parsley, basil, dijion mustard, 1/2 tsp S&P together.

If you use pre-cut strips of steak, add pasta and sauce to pan with chopped arugula. Toss together and serve. If a whole steak, cut steak in slices the put back into pan and mix all ingredients together.

According to her book, this is also a good party good served at room temp.

No comments: